Electrification of the Gospel Oak to Barking London Overground line has been delayed because of “incorrectly designed” overhead line equipment.
Although the line will reopen as planned at the end of this month, Network Rail has said further closures will be needed later in the year to complete the work.
In an announcement earlier today, Network Rail said it had been unable to install some of the OLE structures because they had been “incorrectly designed”. It also blamed the late delivery of materials.
The phased eight-month closure to electrify the 22.5km route will come to an end on February 27. Two-car diesel train services will resume as planned.
Network Rail hasn’t suggested the delay will affect the scheduled introduction of electric services in 2018.
Network Rail’s route managing director for Anglia, Richard Schofield, said: “I sincerely apologise to passengers that we have not been able to complete all of the work in the time we set out, and for the future disruption we will cause to their journeys.
“I have instructed the project team to quickly deliver a robust plan to finish the work before new trains arrive next year, and passengers can be reassured that the line will reopen later this month to diesel trains as planned. A full review into what went wrong has already begun.”