Business Secretary Greg Clark has called for an investigation into the collapse of construction giant Carillion to be expedited.
He has also asked for the investiation to consider the extent to which the actions of Carillion’s directors led to its insolvency.
Writing to the government’s Insolvency Service and the Official Receiver, Greg Clark said it is important that “we quickly get the full picture of the events which caused Carillion to enter liquidation.”
“Any evidence of misconduct will be taken very seriously,” he added.
In addition, the Business Secretary has also written to the Financial Reporting Council, and asked it to conduct an investigation into the preparation of Carillion’s accounts past and present, as well as the company’s auditors.
On January 15, Carillion – which held around 450 government contracts – went into liquidation after its lenders and the government failed to reach a deal to save it.
Minister for the Cabinet Office, David Lidington, said that it was regrettable Carillion was not able to find a solution. He added that the government had been closely monitoring the situation and had been putting contingency plans together to prepare for every eventuality.
Following Carillion’s insolvency, the government will deliver all of Carillion’s public sector services.